Tuesday 18 August 2009

UK freeroll bad beat story #1

Played well in Friday's free roll tournament on fulltiltpoker. Came 30th out of 1400+ people which is good going but lost out to a bad beat and that sucks. I played well so I am not so worried about it but I will relay the hand below and you can decide for yourselves...

I have 24K left.

Blinds are 1000/2000 with a 250 anti. I am the button.

Dealt 7D 9D. I decide to call as I am in position.

4 players to the flop. 10K in the middle.

FLOP 3 5 6 rainbow (Can't remember the suits but they were all different)

CHECK, CHECK, 6K Raise to me.

This, to me, appears to be a stealing move given the low board and having an open ended straight draw and 2 over cards.... I call. The remaining 2 players fold.

TURN 7

CHECK to me.

Now I have 2 possible cards for a straight (4 or 8) + top pair. I sense he has checked as the steal on the flop didn't hit home.... I shove my remaining 16K at it.

Now the sickness. He calls and shows 8 J off suit. What this, in essence, means is that he has called my ALL-IN shove with a draw and 2 over cards.

Of course he spikes a Jack on the river and I go sailing out of the tourney. Of course, legs simply says 'why didn't you fold to the money?' (27 got paid)

Another day, top pair would have held. Another day again, he wouldn't have called with nothing. This day though, he did, and it didn't. Booooo.