Monday 9 February 2009

cracking youtube HD

One thing has stopped me from putting technical demos onto youtube and that is that no matter how big the original video you upload it looks crap when you play it back. See this short video for example...



With this in mind I went in search of the answers... there is always more than one. To start with, there is always a high-quality version of the video you upload but to see it you need to be a little deft and add '&fmt=18' to the end of the URL in the address bar. You will notice that this now makes it almost legible at full screen...



But there is always the crystal clear way and this is it. To start with I must record my videos at 1290x720. This is no biggie. I just set camtasia accordingly. The trick comes in the export. The below movie was exported to a MOV file using MPEG4 encoding, automatic bitrate and exported at 1290x720 HD. The resulting movie file is at least 10 times the size of the 2 shows above but I think you will agree that it is blatently worth it as the result are lovely and clear.



The trick to embedding it, by the way, is to add '&ap=%2526fmt%3D22' to the end of the embedded video source URL...