Tuesday 5 May 2009

Family politics

This post isn't going to be nice. I would just like to say a couple of things.
  1. I love all of my family.
  2. Family politics suck the root.
Why is it that logic goes out of the window when dealing with family politics? Let me paint the scene.
 
Having a son who is just coming back to full strength after an illness we are just getting his routine back on track. This routine, even at the best of times, rarely includes a 2 hour sleep. Babies in cars generally sleep like logs and so we did not make it down for a christening 2 hours drive away as we didn't want to put his routine in jeopardy. I phoned the father of the to-be-christened child and had a good chat about babies and that was that. He was happy that we wouldn't be down. So. The day of the Christening arrives and we get an option to drive 20 minutes down the road to watch a bike race my mate is riding in. We go. We have a good time.
 
So. Why didn't we go to the Christening?
  1. We are being (possibly over) protective of our son?
  2. We have a deep seated reason to not want to see the rest of our family?
hmmm.
 
I thought hard about whether to post this or not but ultimately, f**k it. If people want to make rash and incorrect assumptions about why we weren't somewhere then that is up to them. 2 out of 4 of my siblings decided, somehow, that the answer must be 2. Incredible. I think I might get an anti-family-politics t-shirt knocked up.