Saturday 30 May 2009

Poker. But not as we know it!

Last night was the first (and possibly only) running of the Oxford TT (Two table) tournament at my brothers house. It was poker but really not how we know it.... I will just quickly say that although this article will read like Im a sore loser, I took it far better than a lot of other people would. I do, however, have a new found understanding of the blow-ups you see poker stars like Phil Hellmuth having on TV. I suppose I had better start this with a brief explaination of how I understand a players development as they learn more about poker.

A more experienced table of players will know pot odds and the approximate chances of winning in any given situation. As a result, they will be able to knowingly bet or raise appropriate amounts to force the opponents into tough decisions where they may even be able to pressure them into folding a hand.

Last night the 9 or so 'regular' players were joined by 5 extras ranging from other players who fancied a game to complete novices. And it is these people who were the fly in the ointment for the more experienced players last night.

I will give a brief rundown of my last hand in the game prior to busting out in 12th place!!! I am dealt Ace, Kind suited (Diamonds), statistically, the 3rd or 4th best possible starting hand. I raise 3 times the big blind pre flop. Now, at this point, normally, any player with a marginal or rag hand will naturally fold. Unfortunatly, the player to my right (one of the novices) decided to call with his 8S 6C off suit!!! So the flop comes out JH 7D 4D and I have a 'nut flush' draw so, being short stacked following my pre flop raise I push all in to try and either force the fold or boost my winnings should a diamond hit on the turn or river. This raise is a further 4 big blinds (£8). To my shock, he calls and turns those cards!!! Needless to say the luck was with him and the turn was a 5S giving him the straight! The river wasn't a diamond and that was that. A bad beat in a hand that really should have never gone to a showdown anyway.



That story is just one of many that happened last night. It is very telling that the normal people that you will see in the last 4 or 5 players were 4 or 5 of the first people out. The problem is that you simply cannot play poker against a player that doesn't know how to play poker. Told you it would sound like me being a sore loser.... But looking at the above, it doesn't take a genius to fold 8 6 offsuit to a big pre flop raise...

My (our) only soluce is that in the long run, these guys will loose playing as they do but it doesn't ease the frustration of last night. Once all the buy backs were in there was over £500 on offer to the winner and it is a nasty kick in the dick when you are beaten by luck in a hand that you shouldn't have been contesting.

Anyway, as Mr Pool said at the 11Pm break, "That's tournament poker" and, as my lovely, supportive, wife Legs said as I rolled into bed this morning at 1am.... "Suck it up!"

Just bites s'all... NEXT TIME!!!!

Please use the forum to comment on this blog.